Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Final Blog Post

So life drawing is coming to a close. I think I achieved many of the goals found in the syllabus, if I maybe I didn't understand them at the time. Drawing structurally, for instance, has been an enormous change of style from earlier drawing classes. Instead of "drawing what you see" I learned to draw as I understood it; and comparing my long drawings from the start of the semester to the end, I think structural drawing has been obviously helpful. Expressing form with line instead of shading was another skill I have improved in, and after looking back at the syllabus I see that was one of the course objectives, so it's nice to know I took away from the class what I was supposed to. The mannequin, on the other hand, was less helpful for me. Not only was the entire process more frustrating than anything, I forgot all but a few of the muscles soon after making them.
In terms of changes in the second half of the semester, I think my gesture drawings saw the biggest improvement. Despite knowing better, I couldn't seem to stop drawing outline silhouettes in a rush to get the entire form down on paper in 30 seconds. Once I started trying to draw the 'gesture' (go figure) instead of the shape, I felt much more comfortable with my gesture drawings.
Overall my experience in life drawing has been a positive one. My major is game design art, so I have no doubt that a better understanding of the human body (and especially knowing landmarks/shortcuts to ensure more accurate proportions) will come in handy in my career.

Final Portfolio

No comments:

Post a Comment